Monday, January 25, 2010

Salvaged Drawings



As I watched firemen pour gallons of water down on my flaming studio on Christmas morning 2009, it appeared that I'd lost everything, all my supplies, furniture and a collection of probably 500 drawings. Thirteen days after the fire we were granted access to the building. Inside my studio (which I accessed by climbing under a fallen wall and slipping through a hole between two joists) my drawing drawers stood intact. My friend Dina and I removed some charred rubble from around the drawers from which I was able to pull out what turned out to be close to 300 soaking wet drawings. I spent three days drying out the work with blotting paper and stacks of records and books to press them flat. I've been able to salvage roughly 200 drawings, a little smoke damage and charcoal here and there, but most with nary a scratch upon them. Above are two smoke damaged drawings.

No comments: